I often find myself thinking “time is flying!” and as the first of December is upon us, I am definitely having one of those moments. The dust has settled after an assumed hostile Black Friday, and there is much to look forward to. Often filled with holiday music, lights and many viewings of The Grinch, I love that December is the concluding month to every year. Over the past few weeks I have been thinking about some things to do before ringing in 2015—here are nine of them:
- Give back: it is that time of year many of us have been waiting for, a time filled with family traditions, food and gifts. But it’s important to keep in mind those who aren’t as fortunate. From volunteering your time to donating money, food, toys or coats, there are many ways to give back. Get a group of friends together and plan a day this month to give back—after all, it is the season of giving!
- Homemade gifts: put a little creativity and elbow grease into your gifting this year with homemade goods. I haven’t decided what to make this year [thinking candles perhaps?] but handmade gifts can be a thoughtful and cost-effective strategy for giving a little something to everyone on your list. A few years ago Jake and I made little beaded rings with charms that go on wine glasses. While I’m not sure they ever get used, we still look back fondly at the nights we stayed up far too late watching Netflix, eating ice cream and drinking martinis while assembling and packaging ring after ring.
- Print photos: with everything being so digital these days, many of our photos sit on our phone, computer, and cloud. Take some time this month to print off your favorites to hang on the wall or fill extra frames.
- Try something new: has a certain craft project been lingering on your ‘want to-do’ list? Maybe there is a new recipe or restaurant you’ve been wanting to try? Set aside some time this month and do it. No matter the magnitude, new experiences help us learn and grow.
- Festive nails: ‘tis the season for red, green, and lots of sparkle so why not incorporate them into your manicure?
- Treat yourself: as you think about what you can buy, make or donate to make the holiday special for those around you, don’t forget about yourself. Whether it’s getting your hair done or buying something new to wear for family Christmas, go for it.
- Make a holiday cocktail: while running errands this weekend, Jake and I planned to grab some gin, tonic and lime for a little unwinding. Instead we came home with the fixings for a white Russian. There’s something sweet and delicious about this drink that makes me want to cozy up, kick back and relax—perfect for a chilly December evening.
- Liven up your space: indoor plants aren’t just aesthetically pleasing, they’re beneficial to our health. Having plants in your home/apartment can help purify the air as well as improve your mood and focus. Yes, many people will be buying a tree for their home this month, but I’m talking about something more long term than an ornament-filled Fraser fir. With proper care, certain indoor plants will last for years.
- Plan a game night: as the temperature drops, nights in become more appealing and a game night is the perfect way to have fun at home. While I usually have a ‘the more the merrier’ mindset, [especially with games like Cards Against Humanity] remember that some games [like Scrabble] can be played with just two people. Cheers to a night of friendly competition!
December is looking like a fun-filled month. I am excited to start crossing these items off the list and look forward to sharing my discoveries here!